Monday, November 26

It's Monday, What are You Reading? [8]

This meme is hosted at Book Journey.

Life

 

I studied a lot, like always, but we got out, too.  The dinner with a bunch of The Artist's friends was a lot of fun - I forgot that having Saturday classes means I can stay out late on a weeknight!  So much better than fighting the weekend craziness.

Midterms are two weeks away - scary!  They don't count towards passing or failing the class, amazingly enough, but falling behind now would kill my chances.  If you hear mumbling about free trade agreements and pulmonology you'll know why.

On the reading front 2013 challenges are starting to come out and I'm enjoying picking through them.  So far I have a non-fiction genre challenge and a fiction genre challenge lined up but I'm sure there will be at least one more.


Read Last Week

 

on Goodreads
The Siren by Tiffany Reisz

Review later this week.









on goodreads
Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm by Helen Valentine and Alice Thompson ★★

I was under the impression that this would be an updated version of the 1938 book and boy was I wrong. Some sections are quite dated (a K cup of apple sauce?) but some timeless advice does remain. On posture: "Rigidity is not necessary... you don't want people to notice your posture, good or bad. You want them to see you." Makes sense.

Everything took a nosedive when the fashion section rolled around - afternoon dresses, dinner gowns, what colors you should wear based solely on hair color (ha!), and more. Around here I started skimming, but not so much to notice that the illustrations didn't fit with the topic. Many were from two chapters out and made me wonder what I missed.

More a history lesson than a guide to style, I was less than charmed.



on goodreads
 Laid Bare by Lauren Dane ★★

(see my full review on goodreads for more info, including some spoilers)

This book is perfect in the worst way. Erin is leading a perfect life as a rock star - money, fame, creative freedom, love. A horrific turn of events threatens to take it all away but then she re-meets the perfect guy, Todd. Their sexual preferences match up perfectly. Todd's just aggressive enough, and if he ever steps over a line she says the word and he rearranges his whole life for her.

Dane tried to add conflict in the form of courtroom snits (battle is too strong) but with Erin's strong do-gooder spirit the result is never in question.  Many of the characters said just the right thing at just the right time, leaving things too hunky-dory for my liking.  While there were some nice sex scenes the lack of drive in the plot left me bored and wishing something, anything, would happen.


Currently Reading

 

on goodreads
Small Space Organizing by Kathryn Bechen

I feel like she's trying to hit up all kinds of small spaces in the beginning of this book but we'll see how much of her advice works for my 650 ft. two bedroom.







on goodreads
The Great Inversion and the Future of the American City by Alan Ehrenhalt

I just started but he's going to have to get interesting quick if I'm going to stick around. Maybe it's because I was an urban planning major in college but it feels old hat.






Still Waiting

(books on hold at the library)


Stupid Perfect World - 1 out of 1 (next!)
Dreaming of Mr. Darcy - 2 out of 4 (one month)
At Grave's End (Night Huntress #3) - 9 out of 10 (two months)
Desire Unchained (Demonica #2) - 3 out of 4 (three weeks)
How Will You Measure Your Life? - 14 out of 25 (two months)
Halfway to the Grave - 6 out of 12 (one month)
The Victory Lab - 21 out of 24 (three months)
Love Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood #2) - (two weeks) 
Never Seduce a Scot - 3 out of 50 (<one week!)
The Angel - 2 out of 8 (one week)
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood #1) - 3 out of 18 (one week)
Passion Unleashed (Demonica #3) - 8 out of 8 (two months)
How to Be a Woman - 65 out of 83 (one month)

No comments:

Post a Comment