Monday, October 22

It's Monday, What are You Reading? (3)

This meme is hosted at Book Journey.

Life


I started interpreting school, huzzah!  I'm glad to have the first class over because now I know what to expect.  With all the homework my knitting time is going to shrink, but oh well.  At least the studying is fun!  I never thought I would look at a stack of 240 flashcards and be happy but there you are.

We just set up the kotatsu and Suzu is having a lot of fun playing underneath.  I have a feeling she'll be living in it once the real cold sets in - heck, I will be too!

Read Last Week


 Kiss of Crimson by Lara Adrian ★★

I was hoping I'd be able to watch the main couple from book one continue their journey in book two but no such luck - it was another find-a-Breedmate tale that felt like a retread of the first. The meta Rogue vampire story managed to move forward by an entire half step, ooo. I might pick up the next book if I'm desperate but there's too much good stuff to read in the meantime. Series shelved.


 Immortal by Gillian Shields ★★★★

This book fell right into my sweet spot - a story that unfolds rather than being set, a mysterious man with a troubled past, a normal world that ends up being full of magic. The story is very good and the plot kept me from putting it down for even a moment.

So why only four stars? Connections were spelled out and characters fit into neat stereotypes (the mean girl, the mean girl's groupie, the one nice girl, the mysterious guy, the mean headmaster...). The only person that defied her initial pigeonholing was Helen, and being the "odd bird" it wasn't too hard. I keep telling myself I'll stay away from YA for these reasons but I keep getting sucked back, grah.


A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb ~abandoned~

This book is beautifully written and I loved reading the first third. Once the plot thickened near the middle I couldn't continue though.

The insta-attraction and sex itself didn't bother me. I totally understood the need for physical contact after what the main characters went through, but seeing problems coming from so far away put me off. Also, I grew up in a small town where one of my best friends was in a similar situation to Jenny... I saw what happened to her family; I don't want to read about it again, thank you.

I'm sure that many people will love this book but it wasn't for me.

Currently Reading


Escaping into the Open: The Art of Writing True by Elizabeth Berg

I absolutely love Berg's writing style and voice; several of her novels made it onto my to read list.  This book is geared towards people writing fiction and I'm more into non-fiction but there's still a lot of amazing stuff here.


The Paid Companion by Amanda Quick

A regency romance with a whodunit thrown in.  I may have found my new subgenre!  I'm not giving up paranormal by any means but I need to branch out.





All Wound Up by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

You can never go wrong with the Yarn Harlot.  These short essays wonderful as a break from studying or more serious reading so I'll be nibbling at this one.






Still Waiting

(books on hold at the library)

This week I learned that queues can jump several people - I'm guessing some people never "pick up" their ebooks.  Divergent went from a two month wait to next, woo-hoo!  It gives me hope that I'll read these titles by Christmas... or even better yet, be able to take them with me on the long plane ride home.

Gone Girl - 13 out of 37 (one month wait)
Divergent - 1 out of 1 (next!)
Small Space Organizing - 4 out of 4 (two months)
Better than Beauty - 21 out of 23 (one month)
Halfway to the Grave - 22 out of 24 (two months-ish)
The Victory Lab - 2 out of 3 (one week)
Never Seduce a Scot - 25 out of 40 (one month-ish)
The Great Inversion and the Future of the American City - 1 out of 1 (next!)
Bound to Please - 2 out of 3 (two weeks)
His Royal Pleasure - 3 out of 3 (three weeks)
Dark Lover - 21 out of 26 (two months)
Pleasure Unbound - 6 out of 10 (six weeks)
Laid Bare - 14 out of 17 (two months-ish)
The Siren - 11 out of 12 (six weeks)

No comments:

Post a Comment